Corn Hill Navigation is a nonprofit educational organization with the mission of fostering the improvement and sustainability of the Erie Canal and Genesee River for current and future generations through learning, awareness, and enjoyment.
Since its founding 30 years ago by the late Ted Curtis, former Rochester City Manager, hundreds of thousands of people of all ages, coming from all 50 states and dozens of foreign countries, have experienced the Canal and River aboard the Sam Patch, a replica 1800s packet boat docked in the historic village of Pittsford, New York. Annual ridership has grown 40% over the last ten years.
Corn Hill Navigation’s leadership believes the organization’s programming should be accessible and affordable for everyone in the Greater Rochester community, as well as for those visiting the region. The organization’s programming is supported by generous gifts and grants from
individuals and families, businesses, foundations, and public sector funders, as well as by earned revenue from ticket sales and fees for private and school charters.
Reporting to the Executive Director and working closely with the Tour Manager, Managing Captain, and all captains and crew members, the Hospitality & Program Manager role is critical to Corn Hill Navigation’s continued growth and success, ensuring a high-quality experience for
all passengers and directly contributing to the organization’s bottom line.
The position’s primary responsibilities fall into four areas:
Marketing & Programming
• Lead the development and implementation of an organization-wide marketing strategy to promote ticketed public and themed cruises, as well as private and school charters, utilizing in-person, telephone, and mail outreach, social media, the organization’s website, an e-newsletter, targeted prospect mailings, and press releases.
• Play a lead role in developing and managing distinctive, fun, and educational on-thewater programming.
• Develop and manage the online cruise calendar, critical for ticketing, marketing, and promotional purposes.
• Coordinate the vessel’s participation in regional special events in the Erie Canal Corridor, including Corn Hill Arts Festival, Pittsford Regatta, and Fairport Canal Days.
• In partnership with the Executive Director, develop and implement a public relations strategy that expands the organization’s community partnerships, and maintains mutually beneficial relationships with municipalities and the business community.
• Maintain and update the organization’s website, draft press releases, identify new potential partnerships, capture the organization’s activities with photographs for use in marketing and communications.
Reservations & Ticketing
• Ensure a prompt and professional response to all telephone, email, and mail inquiries regarding ticketed cruises, and private and school charters.
• Manage the online FareHarbor ticketing system, with responsibility for maintaining and updating the ticketing system in partnership with the Tour Manager.
• Secure and manage agreements for private charters and manage all aspects of service for private charter customers, providing the highest possible level of customer service.
Hospitality & Passenger Experience
• Assume overall responsibility for a high-quality passenger experience, encompassing effective ongoing communication among the ticket booth and captains and crew, a system for capturing and acting on passenger feedback, management of food and beverage inventory, and vessel preparation and cleaning.
This position requires strong organizational, project management, and computer skills, a self-starter who is comfortable working independently, a friendly and outgoing personality, a strong interest in the organization’s nonprofit educational mission, and the ability to positively interact
with individuals and groups of varying backgrounds and interests. A bachelor’s degree is preferred, but relevant restaurant, hotel, passenger vessel, hospitality, nonprofit organization, or project management experience will be weighed heavily in the selection process.
Compensation includes a base hourly wage, sales-based commission, and the availability of a group health plan. The position is seasonal for 2021, planned for 30 hours per week for a 30-week period to begin as soon as possible, with the potential to expand to a full-year position to
support the planned launch of a second vessel in 2022.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, three references and compensation objectives to Bruce Van Hise, Executive Director, Corn Hill Navigation, at [email protected] Applications are due April 7, 2021.